Thursday, February 23, 2012

Revised Recipe: Paleo 'Chocolate' Chips & Almond Coconut Protein Shake

Wow, that's a long post title. Originally, this was supposed to be one recipe for Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies made ACD-friendly with a few tweaks. However, my man insisted I also throw in the recipe I came up this week for an Almond Coconut Protein Shake. Arbonne provides a fantastic recipe with the program by the same title. I made a few adjustments to make it a bit richer in good fats. In the process, I made a really sweet shake. So sweet, my taste buds can only take so much, but my guy insists he could drink it every day.

Almond Coconut Protein Shake
with Paleo Carob Chip Cookies

Before I get to the recipes, I have a little announcement. I've decided to become a consultant with Arbonne. For those who know me personally: yes, I may be insane for taking this on. I work full-time, have two school-age kids and my husband travels...a lot. But, stick with me on this. I feel better right now after using the Arbonne kit and vitamins than I have ever felt as an adult. My energy is up. My weight is as down as I could ever want it to be. My skin is clearing and my sinuses are opening. This system has been invaluable in helping me give up dairy and other candida-feeding foods. I really think this program could help many, many people get focused and make the leap into whole, healthy foods. It's not a panacea or miracle weight loss tool. It's an aid to get you from the Standard American Diet (SAD) and all it's health problems to a whole food, healthy way of eating.

As for the blog, it will NOT become an Arbonne ad site. I will be adding a page where you can find more information about ordering Arbonne products. On that page, I'll also include information about upcoming presentations, events and current promotions. I will be using Arbonne products in some recipes, but always with a note that other products might work as well. This is simply a part of my journey and I want to share it. However, my main goal with this blog is get you to think about your food choices, not just copy mine or others. Listen to your body and follow what is best for you. For me, Arbonne has simply become too big a part of my journey to not incorporate in some small way in the blog.

Alright, so who's ready for some cookies and a shake? Me, too!

Paleo Carob Chip Cookies
adapted from The Food Lovers' Primal Palate. If you click over to this lovely blog, you will notice their cookies don't look like mine. The moisture content is much lower in my version, but mine are still soft, even five days later. They simply didn't spread during baking. If you want a more traditional look. be sure to flatten the cookies before baking.

3 cups blanched almond flour
1/2 cup virgin coconut oil, unrefined
1/4 cup yacon syrup
2 eggs (I bet flax eggs would work for a vegan cookie.)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp Celtic Sea Salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup carob chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Beat syrup, eggs and extract together in a small bowl. Pour wet into dry and combine using a hand mixer. Melt coconut oil in the microwave and add to mix. Fold in chips. Drop tablespoon size dough balls onto parchment lined cookie sheets. Press for traditional cookie shape or leave in a ball as I did. Bake for 15 minutes.

Enjoy!

Almond Coconut Protein Shake
inspired by Arbonne shake recipe by the same name.

1 cup non-dairy milk (I alternate between almond and coconut.)
2 scoops Arbonne's vegan Vanilla Protein Powder or vanilla protein powder of your choice
1 scoop Arbonne Fiber Booster (optional)
1 tbsp almond butter
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1/8 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/8 tsp almond extract
2 ice cubes

Place all ingredients in a blender, blend, pour in a cup that makes you feel as special as you are and, finally, enjoy!

I'm posting these recipes on Diets, Desserts and Dogs for Wellness Weekend Feb 23-27. Ricki is one of my blog heros. I'm thinking about attending the Nourished Blogger conference in Chicago in April mostly to make this blog better, but partly to meet her. I hope I don't get star struck. :-)

Tomorrow is Friday. YEAH! Have a great one and take care.

-Melie

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

 

PracticallyHealthy.net | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012