Sunday, April 22, 2012

Call It a Come Back

Okay, so my last post really wasn't a come back, but I AM back this time.

Why the long absence? Well, I didn't take my own advice. I completely let perfection be the enemy of the good. You see, the more I blogged back in February, the more I realized this blog's potential. That was overwhelming for me. I started having all these ideas that generated even more ideas. Before I knew it, I was paralyzed with an ideal vision. I wanted everything to be realized immediately. Unfortunately, I simply have no patience to wait for things and I don't like to settle for less than what I want. 

Yes, you should feel very sorry for my husband.

Looking North: Downtown Chicago
from the top of the John Hancock Building
Fortunately, I turned forty last week. Yep, I said 'fortunately' because there's nothing quite like a monumental birthday to get a person off their backside. As a gift to myself, I attended the Nourished Food Bloggers conference in Chicago. Let me tell you, it was fantastic! I was surrounded by like-minded people AND the best gluten free food. Amazing! I attended a seminar on basic food photography. Unbelievable! I was inspired by some incredibly talented bloggers who taught their tips and tricks. Bring it! Finally, I was dumbfounded by all the excitement and passion so many of the bloggers had for recipe development. 

Uh, do what?

I have shared some of my modest creations on this blog, but they were simple things like protein shakes and reworked cookie recipes. These guys were obsessed with complicated gluten-free french pastries and confections. I love eating those things as much as the next gal, but I can't imagine anything worse than repeating a recipe over and over, spending all day in the kitchen. Don't get me wrong. I'll agree there are few things more satisfying than preparing a good meal or enjoying a fresh baked treat from my own oven. I just don't feel the need to be the original creative genius behind it. 

As I sat listening to one baker who was undoubtedly a true culinary genius, a steady panic began to build. All kinds of thoughts started hitting me: I can't do this! I don't want to do this! I want to continue improving my health. I want to write about eating better. I want to encourage others to do the same. The last thing I want to do is write a cookbook or spend hours in the kitchen. Besides, why would anyone want to visit my blog for second-rate recipes when there are incredible cookbooks and blogs already around? AGH!

After a few minutes and a really good GF cookie, I found my happy place and calmed down. And, as the panic-driven thoughts stopped racing through my brain, others started to emerge. I'm not nearly qualified to come up with a gluten-free chocolate chip cookie recipe any better than the hundreds already out there, but I can bake the most popular ones and figure out which I'd recommend. I can't share gluten free recipes from published cookbooks, but I can try out some of their recipes and tell you which books are worth your $24.95. Basically, I will never be an expert chef or baker, but I can be the friend you want with the tips and tricks you need in this crazy gluten free food world. 

Those thoughts have continued to grow and build over the last week and I am so excited to be back with a clear vision of what we can do with this little blog. I'm also hopeful you will be a part of it, sharing ideas and encouraging progress. In return, I'm making you a promise: I'll always do my best to make practicallyhealthy.net the place you go for gluten-free ideas, information and, occasionally, a good story. To that end, below is this week's Case of the Sunday's where I've laid out what you can expect to find here in the week ahead.


Monday:  Dear 40
Tuesday:  In Search of the Perfect GF Pancake
Wednesday:  Sugar Anonymous
Thursday:  GTC Giveaway
Friday:  Week End Wrap Up


Welcome back and have a great week, ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

 

PracticallyHealthy.net | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012